Public Observation Competition
Help others stay safe this season and be in to WIN!
Share photos and details on backcountry avalanche and snowpack conditions and help Kiwis stay safe this winter! This winter we are encouraging participants to submit their Avalanche and Snowpack Observations to WIN prizes. Capturing the information around this season's snowpack is an important part of shaping the backcountry Avalanche Advisory forecasts and helping people stay safe in the alpine environment. So, next time you are in the backcountry - be safe, submit your observations and enter our competition! It's a Win Win!
How does it work?
By submitting your observations through the NZAA website you can be in the draw for a prize!
Simply submit an avalanche or snowpack observation with a photo using the NZAA Public Observations tool with your contact details and you are automatically in the draw to win. We will contact winners directly and share monthly winners on our Facebook Page and NZAA Instagram Page. Details include:
- New Zealand observations only
- Observations must include the complete data with at least one photo, plus contact details
- All observations submitted equal one entry into the prize draw, multiple submissions are allowed provided they are different observations
- Running from June - end October 2020 (observations from May will be included in June monthly prize)
- Must Comply with Photo Competition Specs
2020 Season Prizes
All entries from the season will go into the draw to win one of our grand prizes. Every observation is one entry. Winners will be selected in November 2020.
- A custom set of Kingswood Skis to the value of $1350 NZ
- $1000 towards a heli-ski trip in 2021 with an NZ operator of your choice!
You get the chance to win a prize each month with outdoor alpine equipment goodies from Black Diamond (courtesy of Southern Approach) up for grabs!
Bonus "High Fives" from the NZAA
7x chances to win - a pair of Black Diamond Spark Gloves
We will also be on the look out for observations that go above and beyond by having descriptive, timely and relevant information with some awesome photos. 7 of these observations will be selected across the season and will be rewarded with a "High Five" in the form of a pair of Black Diamond Spark Gloves courtesy of Southern Approach!
This competition is designed to encourage sharing of information to help others stay safe in NZ's alpine environment and the MSC Forecasters will use these observations as a valuable information source when formulating forecasts. Please check the NZAA forecast, apply your training, take safety equipment with you and make smart decisions. Do not take risks in order to get an observation - we want you all to #MakeItHomeNZ.
Photo and entry requirements
- Data + Photo from this season only (please date your photo)
- Safety is priority as above, do not put yourself or others at risk to obtain an observation
- You must provide your contact details in your entry so we can contact you
- We will be sharing the winning photos on our Facebook Page and NZAA Instagram Page over the season.
- If you have any issues submitting an observation, please get in touch with us
How to Upload an Observation
Help us spread the word!
You can download a set of banners and help us encourage backcountry participants to join in!
It is now easier than ever to share your public observation in your favourite backcountry snow sports groups on Facebook! Simply click the Facebook icon on the top right hand corner of the submitted observation and add your caption. Doing it this way ensures that your observation will have a wider reach and assist NZAA Forecasters.